Aspen Heating and Air knows that there’s nothing like a cool, comfortable house on a hot summer day. So, today we give you our list of easy ways to prevent problems with your AC.
These simple ideas could save you a lot of time and money in because servicing and maintaining your air conditioning unit is an absolute must when the thermostat rises and we need to keep cool.
- For central air conditioning units, the condenser (located outside) is the most key component you will want to check, along with the evaporator coil.
- The evaporator must be cleaned each year by a professional company without exception.
- Clean the tray and underside of the evaporator.
- To prevent the formation of mold and fungus, you can use a little bleach inside the tray. About a tablespoon.
- The condenser naturally collects a lot of dirt and debris throughout the year and cleanup takes the attention of a professional.
- Check that no tall grasses or weeds are constructing the condenser’s air flow.
- Ensure the fans are cleaned, but be careful as they are delicate and break easily.
- To prevent problems with your AC, keep leaves from blocking the condenser and avoid ice dams in the winter months by investing in a condenser cover.
- Room AC units will need some attention as well, and the filtration system is crucial to how efficient they run. Change the filter monthly or twice monthly if there’s a lot of dust and dirt.
- If you have a washable filter, make sure it is completely dry before replacing it.
- Check on the power cord periodically to ensure it is not frayed or in need of repair.
- Once in the summer, it is recommended to clean the condenser and evaporator coils.
- Have a professional check the thermostat to ensure it is not faulty.
- And finally, clean the drain ports.
Even though these tips on how to prevent problems with your AC may seem obvious, it’s very easy to overlook everything required to keep your unit functioning efficiently.
For optimal performance, you’ll need to conduct a thorough inspection each year. If your unit runs more frequently, be sure to have it checked over more often than annually. While air conditioning repair costs are expensive, they can be made unnecessary with just a bit of due diligence.
At Aspen Creek Heating and Air, our experts know all too well the annoyance of a broken air conditioner unit in the heat of summer. To prevent problems with your AC, first try these 14 tips. If you still need our help, give us a call to inquire about a repair or new system quote. We’ll ensure you make it through the hot summer months with an air conditioning unit that is running at its maximum potential.
Remember, a small amount of effort will give you a huge amount of relief by helping you beat the heat!