There’s nothing better on a 95 degree day than the blissful escape only made possible by central air.
So, don’t run the risk of flipping on your unit and having warm air come out, or no air at all.
With today’s 13 tips for proper care of your central AC, you’ll avoid repair costs and enjoy a comfortable summer no matter how hot it gets outside.
These simple ideas from Aspen Heating and Air can help you save time and money by ensuring your AC is in proper working order this summer and many more in the future. Let’s get to it.
For Proper Care of Your Central AC…
- On most units, the condenser (which is situated outside) is the most important component you will want to check, along with the evaporator coil.
- The evaporator must be cleaned each year by a professional company without exception.
- Maintenance should include cleaning the tray and underside of the evaporator.
- To prevent the formation of mold and fungus, you can use a little bleach inside the tray. About a tablespoon.
- The condenser naturally collects a lot of dirt and debris and needs the attention of a professional who will clean it out and make sure critters haven’t nested there over the winter.
- Check that no tall grasses, leaves or weeds are constructing the condenser’s air flow. You want all debris cleared from its vicinity.
- Ensure the fans are cleaned but be careful as they are delicate and break easily.
- To prevent leaves from blocking the condenser and to avoid ice dams in the winter months, you may want to consider investing in a condenser cover. Just make sure it’s breathable to prevent mold growth.
- If you have a washable filter, ensure it is completely dry before replacing it.
- Check on the power cord periodically to ensure it is not frayed, chewed or in need of repair.
- Once in the summer, it is recommended to clean the AC condenser and evaporator coils.
- Have a professional check the thermostat to ensure it is not faulty.
- And finally, clean the drain ports.
The Importance of Regular Inspections
These tips may seem obvious, but if you want to avoid air conditioner repair costs and ensure the proper care of your central AC, it is very important to conduct a thorough inspection every year. If your unit runs more frequently, be sure to check it over more often than annually.
While air conditioning repair costs can be expensive, they can often be avoided with just a bit of due diligence.
Aspen Creek Heating and Air has been serving north Denver for years and knows all too well the annoyance of a broken down air conditioner unit in the heat of summer.
To avoid air conditioner repair costs, try these 13 tips. And if you need our help, call today to inquire about a repair, even a quote for a complete system installation. We do it all.
Enjoy the hot summer months indoors with an air conditioning unit that is running at its maximum potential by having your units serviced and maintained by Aspen Creek Heating and Air.
A small amount of effort will give you a constant amount of joy by beating the heat while saving money.